(Lesson Plan) Protocols 101: How to Start the Conversation at Your Institution
This Lesson Plan will explore the tenets of the Protocols for Native American Archival Materials (PNAAM), a recently endorsed Society of American Archivists (SAA) standard, and examine how institutions have implemented them to meet the needs of tribal communities.
Module 1: How to Identify the Protocols: An Examination of Case-Studies
- Overview key tenets of Protocols
- APS Case Study Overview
- Multiple Choice: Identifying tenets of Protocols
- Breakout Discussion: “What do the Protocols mean to you?” “How does your institution implement the Protocols (if any)”?
Module 2: How to Prepare Your Institution:
- Introduction to Range of Interaction
- Native American Collections Audit
- Introduction to Cultural Audit work conducted by Nick Wojcik & Veronica Reyes-Escudero
- Breakout Discussion: What is “Digital Repatriation”?